02 November 2008

Die Natur

For the German speakers (readers) out there I offer a quote. It is from an essay fragment on nature by Goethe:
Aus "Die Natur" (1782/1783)
"Natur! Wir sind von ihr umgeben und umschlungen - unvermögend aus ihr herauszutreten, und unvermögend tiefer in sie hinein zu kommen. Ungebeten und ungewarnt nimmt sie uns in den Kreislauf ihres Tanzes auf und treibt sich mit uns fort, bis wir ermüdet sind und ihrem Arme entfallen.
Sie schafft ewig neue Gestalten; was da ist war noch nie, was war kommt nicht wieder. - Alles ist neu und doch immer das Alte.
Wir leben mitten in ihr und sind ihr fremde. Sie spricht unaufhörlich mit uns und verrät uns ihr Geheimnis nicht. Wir wirken beständig auf sie und haben doch keine Gewalt über sie."
I intend to return to this quote at a later date (and at that point I will provide some English insight to those who do not do German).

And now a photo essay (of sorts) depicting the local fall fare I had for dinner...
I took butternut squash and brussel sprouts from yesterdays share,tossed the cubed squash with olive oil, sea salt and rosemary before roasting them (à la Elisha),
sauteed the brussel sprouts in olive oil, sprinkling them with sea salt and thyme,
and served both with red beans I had bought at the market yesterday, simply cooked with sea salt and a bay leaf. While I ate I reviewed the chapter I will teach my German students this week.
Firlefanz and Sosi also enjoyed their natural dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment